I’m obsessed with this Super-Quick Cast-Iron Pizza technique made with tortillas.
Cast-Iron Thin Crust Pizza
We are are a pizza loving family, in the summer we love making Grilled Pizza from scratch, and we often make Breakfast Pizza, this quicker pizza uses a combined stove top and oven technique that comes out just like Domino’s or any bar thin crust pizza! And it only takes a few minutes!
Ever since I got my hands on Liz Moody’s new cookbook, Healthier Together, this pizza has been on repeat in my kitchen because it’s so dang easy! And, it uses ingredients I always have on hand – marinara, mozzarella and tortillas. It’s really quick and simple, and can be customized with any combination of pizza toppings you wish to use! And it’s also easily made gluten-free with my favorite tortillas, Siete brand. The ball is totally in your court! I like a classic tomato, mozzarella and basil, but here are some toppings Liz suggests…
Pizza Topping Variations:
CLASSIC NEW YORK – Mozzarella cheese from the milk of grass-fed cows + dried oregano, dried basil + garlic powder + salt
BETTER THAN MARGARITA – Chunks of mozzarella from the milk of grass-fed cows + fresh basil (add after cooking) + drizzle of hot honey
BRUSSELS SPROUTS & BACON-ISH – Shredded Brussels sprouts + pan-fried in avocado oil with a sprinkle of salt until just brown + cooked pasture-raised bacon or coconut bacon
BBQ CHICKEN PARTY – Cheddar cheese from the milk of grassfed cows + shredded pasture-raised rotisserie chicken + tossed in BBQ sauce + thin-sliced red onions
THE SALAD PIZZA – Thinly sliced apple, toasted, chopped walnuts, fresh arugula (add after cooking) + a drizzle of olive oil (add after cooking) + a drizzle of balsamic vinegar (add after cooking).
Her book is filled with beautiful photos and healthy recipes, perfect if you’re cooking for two! This is one of the simpler recipes from her book, next week I am sharing her Green Detox Soup. Hope you enjoy!
Quickest Cast-Iron Thin Crust Pizza
I’m obsessed with this Super-Quick Cast-Iron Pizza technique made with tortillas. This combined stove top and oven recipe comes out just like Domino’s or any bar thin crust pizza!
- Olive oil spray, for greasing the pan
- 2 (6-inch) tortillas (I love Siete gluten-free grain-free cassava tortillas)
- 4 tablespoons tomato or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup full-fat mozzarella (she prefers cheese from the milk of grass-fed cows)
- Toppings of choice (cheese from the milk of grass-fed cows, thinly sliced vegetables, dried or fresh herbs)
- fresh basil, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spray the oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and warm over medium-high heat. When hot place one tortilla in the pan. Reduce heat to medium and let cook for 1 minute.
- Flip the tortilla and cook for an additional minute while you add 2 tablespoons of sauce, spreading it all the way to the tortilla’s edge.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese or any toppings of your choice, reserving fresh herbs to finish.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the edges of the tortilla are golden brown but not burned (if you’re not using cheese, check on the early side).
- Transfer the pan back to the stove and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat, until the bottom is browned, but not burned.
- Transfer the pizza to a plate and let it cool slightly. Top with fresh herbs, if using.
- Repeat with second pizza and serve.
Yield: 2 servings, Serving Size: 1 pizza
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 118 calories
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- Sodium: 285.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 15.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Protein: 4.5g
All images and text ©